Author Topic: Genie Distribution Program Priority?  (Read 1464 times)

glangley

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #0
    March 24, 2017, 01:50:30 am

I currently have two sites receiving programming of two stations each through the multicast program I've setup in the Tieline feeding each site. 

These sites have cradlepoint routers that can switch from a either a dedicated internet connection or Wireless Broadband, or between Wireless Broadband providers.  When this switch happens, the IP's change and render the loaded program useless.

What I would like to know is if there is a way to prioritize connections. So, if a connection fails, the system would cycle through the programs available by priority, until both links we connected once again.  This would have to have a designated loop, and after about three times through the list, it would need go through and connect as many end points as possible if all connections would not work.  This would keep my one connection up, as there may be times when the actual unit fails at either site for whatever reason, which would cause it to hunt for a program that works for both, yet it would never connect as the actual unit would be hard down. 

Hopefully, that all makes sense.

tieline_admin

• Administrator
  • Reply #1
    March 24, 2017, 10:50:01 am

Is there a reason for using the “2 x Multicast Client/Server” program?

If you can use a peer-to-peer connection then you should be able to make use of the failover feature of the Distribution codecs.

For example, on the dialing codec you would create a “2 x Stereo Peer-to-Peer” program with the following settings:

• Each audio stream would have a normal connection which specifies the IP address of the dedicated internet connection.
  • For each audio stream you would then create a “backup” connection which specifies the wireless broadband IP address

The way that the failover works would mean that the codec would automatically switch between each connection on failure, e.g. if the primary connection was lost the codec would automatically switch to the backup wireless connection.  The Distribution codec is also capable of performing automatic failback (enabled by default) when the codec determines that the primary connection (the dedicated internet connection) has returned and is stable, i.e. as soon as the dedicated internet connection is up and running again the codec will flip back to using this link rather than the wireless link.

glangley

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #2
    March 24, 2017, 09:46:04 pm

We are sending two streams (News Radio and Classical Music) to each site.

tieline_admin

• Administrator
  • Reply #3
    March 27, 2017, 10:21:14 am

If you only need to send 2 streams to each codec then you can use the “2 x Stereo Peer-to-Peer” program type and make use of the failover feature of the Distribution codecs.

To do this on the dialing codec you would create a “2 x Stereo Peer-to-Peer” program with the following settings:

1.   Each audio stream would have a normal connection which specifies the IP address of the dedicated internet connection.
2.   For each audio stream you would then create a “backup” connection which specifies the wireless broadband IP address

The way that the failover works would mean that the codec would automatically switch between each connection on failure, e.g. if the primary connection was lost the codec would automatically switch to the backup wireless connection.  The Distribution codec is also capable of performing automatic failback (enabled by default) when the codec determines that the primary connection (the dedicated internet connection) has returned and is stable, i.e. as soon as the dedicated internet connection is up and running again the codec will flip back to using this link rather than the wireless link.

Join Tieline.com Forum - It's Free

Become a member of the Tieline forum today!

Member Login

Email AddressPassword
Forgot your password?