Author Topic: ReportIT Bug Report: Return audio bleed/loop thru  (Read 3353 times)

ketrkevin

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #0
    October 16, 2015, 06:47:31 am

I'm usually in the field, so this isn't something I have noticed, but I was in-studio for a remote broadcast this week and noticed I could hear my audio coming back from the remote site.

After testing, this is happening IN ReportIT. We use a JK Audio Remote Mix and cell cable usually, but I tested with nothing but the phone and the return audio bleed/loop was still present.

The field unit was an iPhone 6 (when I noticed the return audio bleed/loop) and my testing was with a Nexus 6. Same problem on both.

This problem is NOT present when using our iMix G3.

The return audio bleed/loop goes away when the return level is turned all the way down on the ReportIT app. Nothing else affected the bleed/loop.

Both phones had the latest update of the app (late September).

The bleed/loop audio is low, but distinguishable. On a two-way, it would be a low echo of the return audio; any cues or other audio coming from studio would be audible in other cases.

Pretty sure this is not a local issue (hence a bug report and not a support ticket), but if anyone else wants to test, I'd be curious of your results.

Johannes

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #1
    December 31, 2015, 12:45:46 am

I had the same problem with iphone 6 but it works fine with an old iphone 4 with ios 4.3.3. I wonder if this problem is related to ios version. The loop/bleed is only when the headset is plugged in. I'm using XLR to iphone DIY adapter.

ketrkevin

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #2
    January 05, 2016, 01:53:19 am

For me, it is happening on Nexus 6

Chris

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #3
    January 12, 2016, 06:04:22 am

Tieline staff, you need to address this issue. The app is not useable like this.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:07:16 am by Chris »

McBain

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #4
    January 14, 2016, 06:50:46 am

We are having the exact same issue as the original poster.

We have swapped cables, JK mixers, and used only the phone itself with no difference on the audio bleed.

Phones we have tried include the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S5, and iPhone 4.  Again no difference.

Audio bleed is always proportional to whatever the return level is set at in the Report IT app.  Only way to eliminate it entirely is to turn the return all the way down in the app.

Glenn

• Global Moderator
  • Default Avatar
  • Reply #5
    January 27, 2016, 02:05:26 pm

Some customers have reported that an audible echo is present when using the Report-IT app. This problem in not encountered by all users, and after investigating this extensively, we have discovered a number of factors which can influence the performance of the app. There is no single solution for audible echo but possible solutions include the following:

Handset type: particularly for Android devices, of which there are many, the actual handset design can affect the amount of “echo” detected over a connection. After testing numerous handsets,  we have noted audible differences in the amount of echo based on the handset ‘shell’ design etc. These tests were performed without using external headphones and mic adapters etc. Note: Use of a compatible headset can improve any echo experienced.

External hardware, headsets and mic adapters etc.: If echo is an issue, Tieline recommends the use of headphones only and the native mic on the phone itself, because audio can resonate on headset wire and amplify any inherent audio echo. For iOS devices, non-MFI adapters should also be avoided.

Digital I/O: Tieline is also investigating using digital in/outs as a possible solution to improve performance and reduce any echo experienced. This would be a solution via micro-USB on compatible Android devices and the Lightning connector on iOS devices.

Hopefully this information will assist in improving the situation if you are experiencing echo issues.

Johannes

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #6
    January 28, 2016, 11:48:31 pm

We have used ReportIT for several years with no problems, but now all of a sudden we could hear audio "echo". I was just wondering what have changed.  It is very difficult to be On Air now.

Glenn

• Global Moderator
  • Default Avatar
  • Reply #7
    January 29, 2016, 10:11:58 am

Hi Johannes,

Can I please ask you to email support@tieline.com.au and we will try to diagnose exactly what is going on.

It sounds like it's perhaps being caused by the headphones/mic adapter as you mentioned previously that the echo is only evident when the headset is plugged in and that you are using an XLR to iphone DIY adapter.

When you email can you please let us know:

* What sort of adapter you are using and if it is an approved "made for iPhone"adapter, as this can affect performance as noted in the response in this thread on January 27.
* Have you recently upgraded your app, and if so, what version you used previously, and which one is installed now on both the iPhone 4 and 6 that you mentioned.
* The version of firmware on both your iPhone 4 and iPhone 6.
* Is the echo evident if you only attach headphones to the iPhone and you use the native microphone in the phones and not the mic adapter cable?

Once you provide this information we will be able to assist you further.

best regards,

Glenn

Johannes

• Default Avatar
  • Reply #8
    February 01, 2016, 09:45:07 pm

I think I have found the solution for this problem. I took a aluminum foil and wrapped it around the mic cord, and there is no audio bleed now. The reason is that I used home made adapter using consumer cord, 4 pin jack into RCA and put XLR instead of RCA plug. The standard RCA cord is not enough screened. That's why it worked well with the iphone earpods/mic cord.

Glenn

• Global Moderator
  • Default Avatar
  • Reply #9
    February 02, 2016, 08:42:55 am

Hi Johannes,

That's great that you have been able to isolate the issue. We don't generally recommend particular products for use with iPhones, however we have had a number of customers around the world report good experiences using iRig interfaces. It may be worth testing one of their interface products to see if they work effectively for you.

best regards.

Join Tieline.com Forum - It's Free

Become a member of the Tieline forum today!

Member Login

Email AddressPassword
Forgot your password?